
(Picture of graffiti done by British street artist, Banksy, on the Israel-Palestine separation wall)
While living here, I've been trying to figure out and understand what the Jewish Israeli identity is all about. Since I'm "Jewish," I'm curious to find out what binds me to this people and what we have in common. As far as collective identity goes- there's not much.
This incredible article published in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz a couple of months ago highlights a study conducted by two Jewish Israeli researchers on what defines the Israeli collective identity, and how it relates to Jewish Israelis' perception of Palestinians/Arabs. In part, it concludes:
Israeli Jews' consciousness is characterized by a sense of victimization, a siege mentality, blind patriotism, belligerence, self-righteousness, dehumanization of the Palestinians and insensitivity to their suffering.
And finally someone just comes out and says it. In one of the most popular Israeli newspapers, no less.
Here are a couple of examples of this that I've personally experienced here:
1- In a conversation with Jewish Israeli I know, he was saying that he thinks most internationals (aka, me) who come here to be activists and fight for the Palestinians aren't well-informed of the history. He said, "Even before 1948, in the 20s, the Palestinians went around killing Jews for no reason. For whatever reason, it's how they've always been, it's in their nature." Whoooa, buddy. Zionism and the plan to push Palestinians out of this land was in action a good 40 years before the State of Israel established. Either way, his argument is an example of what this study shows. It's exemplifies a mentality of Jewish victimization and Palestinians as a violent, irrational people.
2- How Jewish Israelis acted during the recent attacks in Gaza was incredibly difficult to understand. Jerusalem is something like 50 km from Gaza. That's so close!! And in West Jerusalem (the Jewish side), there was no noticeable difference in the way people acted. Myself, my Israeli and Palestinian co-workers, and foreign friends (granted, all activists) were in this constant state of teary-eyed shock. How could this be happening so close, yet we are all so helpless? How can this be happening at all?? Then talking to the Jewish Israelis I know, I would then be thrown into another level of shock and utter disappointment at how unphased and cool they were when addressing the "war" in Gaza. I would think, "Why aren't you as upset as I am? How can you just carry on, life as usual??"
Well, the above article explains it all. The mentality of it's either us or them. Even though they have no military, live in one of the most concentrated areas of the world (with 1.5 million people living in 140 square miles of land), and have no way out.
I've heard statements like, "All I know is that if we don't look out for the Jews, then no one will" or "Aren't we entitled to our own state, finally, after all of our years of suffering?"
Sure, why shouldn't the Jews have their own state? In theory, it's a great idea. But is this the kind of state Zionists want? A place where its citizens are always on the defensive? Where people scare themselves into losing their sense of humanism? Where most spend what could be the most fun and adventurous years of their lives serving in the military and contributing to the subordination of an entire people? Is it really worth it?
No comments:
Post a Comment