
V-day is an international day to raise awareness and put an end to violence against women. In Jerusalem, a local group of female actresses performed the Vagina Monologues. If you haven't seen them, you should. I've seen them before, but it was great to see them performed again, as they are so cathartic to watch. I laughed, cried, and reinvigorated the angry feminist in me. Also, who wouldn't get a kick out of seeing a religious head-scarf wearing Jewish woman on stage yelling the word "pussy??"
Here is a link to a video that a woman made for V-day on Jerusalem women's perspectives on sex, vaginas, etc. It's great.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=710557824349&ref=nf
My one qualm is that the monologues were only performed in Israel, and in the white Jewish parts of Israel, no less. I'm not sure if there was any effort to try to perform them in the West Bank or the Arab-Israeli towns, but I'm disappointed that it was performed to such a limited audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment