Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ultimate (frisbee) Peace in the Middle East

Many people I still meet laugh at me when I say I've played ultimate frisbee competitively for years, but they just don't know. It's awesome, competitive and really damn hard. No, it's not something I play with my dog. Yes, there are rreeaaal rules, and it involves running. A lot of running, and a lot of skill. Yes, just as much as soccer/football. And basketball. Check it out here.

So there is this event I'm volunteering for this week, and I think it's pretty innovative. www.ultimatepeace.org. I have yet to experience what it is like, but I will blog about it after :)

Basically, the rules of ultimate frisbee are mostly self-refereed. There is no ref on the field that blows his/her whistle and calls a foul. It's self-called and then resolved right then and there on the field. Part of the magic of ultimate is that the calls on the field mostly never lead to any kind of fight and is resolved in a peaceful, respectful way. It's all done in the "spirit of the game" that encompasses respect for yourself, your fellow players, and a good, healthy competition.

Anyway, the theory behind this event, as I see it, is to teach Palestinian and Israeli kids how to play ultimate and in the process, teach them how to engage in a form of interaction and competition where they realize it IS possible to co-exist and even compete, but in a way that encourages respect for what you're engaged in and for each other. Not a bad idea.

I'm mostly excited about this event, but one thing that nags at me about it is this concept here of "normalizing" the occupation. A lot of activists are wary of many peace-making programs because they don't specifically address ending the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land and people. Like, trying to raise the quality of life for Palestinians as it is under the occupation instead of simply trying to END the occupation. Does this make sense? Examples of this are programs that aim to foster "coexistance" or Israelis and Palestinians showing artwork together, or a joint summer camp for kids...or the Ultimate Peace project. Many people don't see this hand-holding type of project as useful. I understand this. People are being killed. People are being arrested and held without their rights. Homes are being demolished and families are left with nothing. Ending the occupation is urgent to say the least. And when you see these things first hand all you want to do is go make someone pay the consequences for what is being done to these people. You want to make it END! But does that mean this kind of program isn't useful? Not sure.

I know Israelis who haven't had a real conversation with an Arab person other than when they were in army, serving in the oPt (occupied Palestinian territories), and had a gun in their hand. They have no concept of these people other than how they saw them when they were in a position of command over them. This is sad. How can you really value, really really understand the human-ness of someone unless you talk to them, and experience them on equal ground?

Anyway, I'm eager to see how this project goes, and how these kids take to it. Look for it on CNN international because they're covering the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment