Thursday, April 23, 2009

My past life...regulating usurious loans


Last year while working at a non-profit that focuses on public policy research, I spent a lot of time and energy researching payday loans. In a move of shameless self-promotion, but also to help inform you what payday loans are, here is a link to a report that I worked on (and the opinions I express in this blog do not represent the opinions of the Bell Policy Center).

Anyway, I still get these Google email alerts for anything in the news about payday loans. They are mostly advertisements for payday loans (no thank you) but occasionally, especially as the state legislative sessions move along, there are more articles about good legislation that's aiming to rein these lenders in.

Here is one in the New York Times written by Luis V. Gutierrez, the chairman of the House Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit.

Even though I'm here, I can't stop caring about this issue. I consider it especially shameful because it is legal in most states, and it is flat our usury and exploitation. I and hope to continue to raise awareness via this blog and through prolonged harassment of my friends and family :)

Let me know if you have any questions, because I would be happy to answer them.



No comments:

Post a Comment